1) Wash hair every 3 days - daily washing steals the natural oils from the hair cuticle and can leave your tresses weak, limp and difficult to work with.
2) The healthier your diet the thicker, shinier and healthier your hair. And do drink lots of water also to banish dryness and promote natural sheen.
3) Finish with a cool-to-cold rinse to help seal the hair cuticle and convey natural shine, and always towel dry hair before conditioning otherwise you could be diluting the conditioner by up to 70%.
4) Blow-drying, styling, straightening – who knows where our style would be without our favourite tools? But much as we love them, the heat generated from these much-used appliances can penetrate the cuticle and leave hair dry, damaged and dull. Praise be to the heat-protection product!
5) Nourish, nourish, NOURISH! We just can’t stress it enough. Treat your tresses to a deep conditioning mask once a week – and throw the rule book out the window! Many masks will tell you to leave the product on for around 10-15 minutes, but anything under 30 minutes is usually pointless. And once you’re fully coated in your conditioning mask, wrap your hair tightly in cling-film to seal in the heat; this will activate the mask’s healing properties.
6) If you want healthy, split-free hair, be sure to book in for regular trims. Fine hair should be cut every six weeks, whilst thick hair needs a trim every eight. Leave it any longer and those split ends could move up the hair shaft, which means the difference between a trim and losing a couple of inches. It’s your call.