Thursday, December 17, 2009

Flora's Transformation in Retrospect

Does Flora's believix feel not quite on par with all the other girl's design? Do you find that her boots do not quite fit with her top and skirt? As if they're completely two different styles that should not be together? Is it her top that makes everything seem out of place? You're not alone.

Of all the believixes, Flora's is the one that sticks out the most in my mind because it has a more natural, flowery look as if her top and skirt were made of rose petals and her collar and waist band were made of vines. Of all the other believixes, hers is the one that does not fit with the theme of the believix outfit: to be 'modern.'

Now, that there is where the problem lies. Flora is the fairy of flowers and flowers are often as something symbolically synomous with natural, traditional and ancient--the opposite of modern and fresh.

Take a leap back in time for a moment and go back to season one. Do you think that they might have gotten it right back in season one? Her believix feels like a downgraded enchantix outfit with a pair of gogo boots added to differentiate it from the enchantix-style barefoot sandals.


Sure, if they spruced it up with some more elaborate colour schemes and designs, it could have worked. It makes me kind of think that the believix outfit should have been in season one while the winx outfit should have been in season four.

I do not mean to say that her believix should look like her season one outfit but when you think about it, it fits the modern and fresh idea a little more. It gives her a more focus on the fact that she is a fairy general and less on the fact that she is a very 'flowery' kind of girl. Do not be mistaken, I realise that she is the fairy of flowers and that it is obvious that her outfit is going to be influenced by that but what did pink hearts and the colour pink in general have to do with anything with Bloom's fire- and dragon-themed powers? The heart is understandable but pink?

Point being is that you would really be able to tell what the all girls' powers were exactly at a glance? Did Layla's outfit have anything to do with water or morphix (aside the colour blue); Stella with the sun, moon (and by extension, stars); Musa and music (other than the fact that she looks like a chronologically transplanted rocker); even Roxy and animals?

Back in season one, you knew automatically that Musa's powers had to do with sound because she wore headphones; Tecna and her skin-tight jumpsuit was something technological and Stella and her Staff of Solaria for the celestial bodies.

To conclude, maybe the designers should have gone back to season to look for inspiration for Flora's outfits. Maybe they could have done something elegant with her corset, maybe even a long skirt to contrast with all short skirts and pants. Anyways, it's too late now since season four is over. There is always season five to look forward too.

What do you think?

26 comments:

  1. I never really thought about that. All the Belevix outfits seem to fit the characters. Flora's boots seem to match her top and skirt just fine in my eyes. I don really care whether their outfits are "traditional" or "modern" as long as they suit them well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her Believix well thought , it seem to be matching for me . But i agree with you on the season 1 outfits thought , and pink hearts on Bloom's believix wings ? that's just freaky (no offends)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Flora's outfit isn't very 'modern' or for that matter, 'retro' (after all, the girls wear platforms and fingerless gloves). I think they should have made it match more. I agree that pink does not fit Bloom's power. Bloom's power is supposed to be unstopabble and all powerful but the pink makes it look like you could take her down with a pillow(no offense).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Flora's Believix is pretty and suits her just fine. No one looks very modern as far as I can see and she looks good in pink - it's definitely her color.

    It's way better than her Enchantix, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANOTHER Roxy pic! Why did they give her short sleeves? Weird...

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8hKo9j3itys/SyvH7QlaioI/AAAAAAAADic/YACo8c4JWkQ/s1600-h/x_3e7a7627.jpg

    @ The All Real Numbers Symbol

    I liked her Enchantix better than her Believix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new, and I'm noi's sister. My name's a play on words. My name is Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean I'm Winx Ora e Per Sempre Amici's sister. She changed her name. KAILEEN WHY DID YOU CHANGE YOUR NAME IT IS CONFUSSING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree that Bloom shouldn't have pink hearts. I don't mind the hearts at, but why not make them red instead of pink. I think red would look nicer. It would go with her hair (just like her Believix outfit goes with her eyes as have her Enchantix and basic Winx ones).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll say it sticks out. ^^

    But don't forget—in the "Enchantix" season, Tecna's Enchantix form was more revealing than her Magic Winx form.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, it's pretty hard NOT to find something less revealing than Tecna's Winx outfit. She was covered head to toe, with only her face showing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Flora's believix, but the only thing modern about it are the wings. The boots kind of match(colors)but they kind of don't. And I HATE the look for Bloom's believix. She looks so girly and wimpy and cute. The Dragon Fire should be firey and powerful, with reds, orange and yellow and blue. And they HAD to choose pink and hearts. And I don't see the other girl's powers in their outfits. Layla wears aqua and pink, that's it. Stella's for sure with the stars on her wings, hair and boots, the sun is a star but where is the moon in it? Bloom NO. Musa NO. As for Roxy, love her believix but they should have kept the pawprints on her wings. Her buckle should be a pawprint, and they should should at least put a pawprint clip or something in her hair. And aren'y butterflies BUGS, not animals? Tecna YES for an odd reason I see tech theme. Flora is the only one really with her power in her outfit.
    I'll shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Phoebe

    Yeah, if you put a MASK on Tecna's face, it would be less revealing, but thats about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi- just testing....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tecna's theme is always technolghgy. Musa's wasn't as much as a music theme this season 4.

    ReplyDelete
  15. um pink is closer than blue though.... all her fairy forms have had blue and even her regular outfits but blue makes me think calm or cold when bloom has both a fiery temper and a fiery power.... also the season 1 outfits are too basic hers would stand out if you switched then, so pink i guess is closer than blue even though it does make her look more vonerable. don't get me wrong, she looks good in blue but i think that flora's outfit it fine the style is sorta modern but the design and coloors arn't and at first glance in season one you couldn't tell what blooms power was

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I really never thought about that! Well spotted!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think Flora's outfits and transformations are the main reason why she's my favorite character! I have thought about it before - Why pink?! But at least she has something about which stands out, otherwise she'd be dead in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i thought blooms coulor hearts were blue...even less fire
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really like floria because of her sweet kind side but i mainly like her becaues of her fab cloths

    ReplyDelete
  20. who do you like best

    ReplyDelete
  21. tecna es mi winx faborita mas cuando son encantrix enchantix believix y winx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually flora is my favorite belivex transformation, I'm not so sure if there style is really modern I mean no one in real life dresses like that, but civilian is probably a better term. The fact that it is different from everyone else makes her transformation special and stick out to me. I mean really all of them are downgrades compared to enchantix so I don't think it's just her, but at least her transformation compared to the others are more than a slightly cooler version of their winx. And yes bloom's outfit does make her look vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mrs. M knows how to blogging the Internet, I started to tinker with various content direction programs
    to build my site, and by and by lettered that blogging is the easiest way.
    Boilersuit, going plunk for to January of 2007, Mrs.

    Clinton spent $5.2 trillion on of the simplest ways and
    do money on the Internet. split up your Blog into
    categories and subcategories patterns of wrist bone instability is presented below.


    Here is my web site; click here

    ReplyDelete